Monday, May 08, 2006

The Importance of Self-Protection

At approximately the same time that I felt I had a pretty good handle on the toxic personalities and energy vampires in my life, a massage therapist & Reiki practitioner friend of mine decided to pursue training in Shamanic Healing in the Inka tradition. Lucky for me, she needed people to practice on while she was in training and I happily volunteered for the task.

I didn’t quite know what to expect, but I approached the process in a very pro-active manner. Like most people, I have my share of personal baggage and some of my personal baggage manifests itself in recurring aches & pains. I do my best to actively work through my issues through self-healings and assorted other techniques. But sometimes my individual self-healings only go so far. To get the rest of the way I thought shamanic healing techniques might be a good place to start.

I was very impressed with the shamanic healing process. I found the healing energies to be very powerful and those energies did a great job healing some of my ancient baggage. Everyone responds to energy healings in a different way. For me, the first 24-48 hours are very euphoric. But the next 3-5 days, I tend to feel a bit vulnerable and out-of-sync as my energies get used to the new healthier patterns. During this phase I usually perform some cleansings and self-protection rituals…and do my best to avoid unpleasant energetic situations…to make sure the healings “stick”.

After several months passed, I had a valuable learning experience with regard to the importance of self-protection. My shamanic healer had strained her back a couple of days after one of our shamanic sessions. She asked me if I was available to give her Reiki session. Although I was feeling under-the-weather, a bit vulnerable and out-of-sync, I thought, “no problem” and we set-up a meeting.

During the Reiki session, something happened that I have never experienced before and hope to never experience again. It was the perfect storm of how not to do a Reiki session. The Reiki Practitioner (me) was feeling vulnerable and my personal energies were fuzzy. In addition, I didn’t take the proper self-protection precautions. In short…I got sloppy. In addition, my newly minted shamanic healer (the client) did not regularly practice proper cleansings after her healings…so her personal energies were extra fuzzy.

To make a long story short, approximately 1/3 of the way through the Reiki session the wild mix of energies in the room raised the ambient temperature to an unbearable temperature and I started to get really nauseous. As I struggled through the Reiki session, I also felt zapped by some unusually strong energies that I never experienced before or since. I actually had to stop the session a couple of times to take a break and sit down for a few minutes before continuing the session.

What did we learn from this experience?

Energy healers must make sure that they are in a “good space” prior to performing a healing. In addition, there is no excuse to be sloppy about self-protection and post session cleansings.

After receiving several shamanic sessions over a year or so, I noticed a major shift in how I related to people. After my initial shamanic sessions I noticed that my interactions with people – including co-workers improved significantly and felt primarily warm & fuzzy about these relationships. However, after receiving more shamanic sessions and healing more personal baggage I started to feel more vulnerable around these people and my old self-protection techniques were no longer working.

They say that defense mechanisms exist for a reason…they protect the more vulnerable and sensitive aspects of our spirit.

I recently heard an interview with a sports medicine specialist that described how a professional athlete’s muscles tense up and range of motion is reduced after a game. The muscles are tensed or in spasm to protect an injured or vulnerable area of the body.

Sometimes our baggage exists for a reason. As unhealthy as our personal baggage can be...it usually provides our spirits with necessary protection. As our baggage is healed this protection is removed and can leave us in a vulnerable and hyper-sensitive state…unless we can figure out how to protect ourselves without using dysfunctional techniques.

I mentioned this new hyper-sensitivity to my shamanic healer in passing…and she offered the “Bands of Power” protection solution.

The Bands of Power is a simple shamanic rite that installs five energetic bands along chakra meridians that filter energies directed towards the individual. The Bands of Power act as a buffer or a filter to help individuals self-protect and be less vulnerable to the toxic energies of their environments.

In addition, the Bands of Power are also an excellent tool for energy healers. I discovered that many healers get the Bands of Power to have additional protection when working with clients so as to not accidentally absorb their client’s issues.

On a personal note, I found the Bands of Power to be an excellent solution for my self-protection issues…particularly in the work place. Previously, certain energy vampires and toxic co-workers in the office would interact with me on a minimal…even polite basis. However, after receiving the Bands of Power…they completely stayed away.

In addition, the person who worked in the cubicle next door was going through a very messy divorce and custody battle when I received the Bands of Power…and the situation strained my buffer zone of self-protection. After receiving the Bands of Power I could easily expand my area of protection whenever my co-worker would begin a rant on the telephone about the situation.
Lastly, since receiving the Bands of Power, I have given my shamanic healer at least one Reiki session. We both learned our lessons on the importance of self-protection and I am happy to report that the session went extremely smoothly.

I still use my old self-protection techniques of: being aware of your surroundings; breathing; centering oneself; practicing self-protection; creating a buffer zone; becoming self-aware…but now the self-protections feel “super-sized”…and I feel more confident about letting go of old patterns.


References

Algonquin Shaman (2006). Bands of Power. Retrieved May 5, 2006, http://www.algonquinshaman.com/bandsofpower.html

Hay, L. (1988). Heal Your Body. 4th edition. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House.

Orloff, J. (2000). Guide to Intuitive Healing: 5 Steps to Physical, Emotional and Sexual Wellness. New York: Three Rivers Press.

Orloff, J. (2004). Positive Energy: 10 extraordinary prescriptions for transforming fatigue, stress, and fear into vibrance, strength and love. New York: Three Rivers Press.

Ritchey, D. (2003). The H.I.S.S. of the A.S.P.: Understanding the Anomalously Sensitive Person. Terra Alta, WV: Headline Books, Inc.

Villoldo. A. (2006). The Four Winds Society. Retrieved May 8, 2006, http://www.thefourwinds.com/

No comments: