
I saw the movie Pi during a transitional time in my life. In the movie Pi the main character is a math genius named Max who built a supercomputer in his apartment. Max gets caught up with a group of Hasidic Cabalistic Jews who want him to help them re-discover the mathetmatical mystries of the Torah and unravel the mystical meaning of a 216 digit number.
As a recovering work-a-holic whose life was built around to do lists, I found the following quote from Max's dialog particularly inspiring,
"It's just a number. I'm sure you've written down every two hundred sixteen (digit) number. You've translated all of them. You've intoned them all. Haven't you? But what's it gotten you? It's not the number! It's the meaning. It's the syntax. It's what's between the numbers. If you could understand you would."
In my opinion, the meaning of a life is not in the lists of achievements, accomplishments or activities, but in the syntax. It is the moments between the accomplishments & achievements that bring meaning to our existence.
Most people approach their lives, parenthood, and marriage as a to do list. However, in the end, it is the quiet moments between the bullet points of our lives that really matter.
I use the following question to help me remember what is really important: "When I am on my deathbed...what will I regret?"
I promise you...you will not say, "Gee, I wish I worked more!" Instead, you will regret not investing more in your personal relationships or your relationship with yourself.
Americans are overscheduled and sleep deprived. As unpleasant as this mental state is, it is addictive, especially when it becomes a familiar state of being. In this busy & mentally cluttered state, it is easier to be "told" how to feel and think - rather than taking the time to figure it out for themselves…or question their reality.
In addition, the ability to listen and understand yourself (including your own wants and needs) is lost…and the ability to listen to others is therefore impossible.
The meaning of a life is not in the lists of achievements, accomplishments, or activities...but in the syntax. It is the moments between the accomplishments & achievements that bring meaning to our existence.
No comments:
Post a Comment